Key Research Findings
Youth Frontiers has done extensive qualitative and quantitative research on our core retreat programs. Here are some of the key findings from our independent research projects. Download a PDF.
- Nearly seven out of 10 students somewhat or strongly agreed that since the Kindness Retreat, less popular students feel more a part of the school (CAREI, 2010).
- 80 percent of fourth and fifth graders somewhat or strongly agreed that since the Kindness Retreat, students are more likely to help someone who is being picked on (CAREI, 2010).
- More than 90 percent of teachers felt that, overall, their class had been kinder since the Kindness Retreat (Sass, 2005).
- In focus groups, students reported a reduction in fighting and bullying in general after the Courage Retreat (CAREI, 2011).
- 86 percent of students on the Courage Retreat reported that they learned what it means to act with courage, the impact of fear and skills about how to show courage (Sass, 2005).
- After the Courage Retreat, more than eight out of 10 students partially or fully followed through with the commitment they made to act with courage (CAREI, 2011).
- After the Respect Retreat, 85 percent of students reported that they stand up to negative peer pressure (CAREI, 2011).
- One-third of ninth graders on the Respect Retreat reported feeling more of a connection to classmates since the retreat (Sass, 2009).
- 86 percent of students reported that they followed through on their commitment to respecting themselves and others more or standing up for respect at school (CAREI, 2011).
- 97 percent of educators reported that they got to know one or more of their colleagues better at the Honor Retreat (YF, 2011).
- 98 percent of educators reported feeling energized to continue their important work of educating young people after participating in the Honor Retreat (YF, 2011).
- 97 percent of educators reported feeling more honored and affirmed in their contribution to their schools because of the Honor Retreat (YF, 2011).
- Retreat Programs Evaluation Project, Ed Sass, Ed. D., 2002-2005
- Brooklyn Center Schools Evaluation Project, Ed Sass, Ed. D., 2006-2009
- Kindness Retreat Case Study Report, Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement, University of Minnesota, 2010
- Final Report, Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement, University of Minnesota, 2011
- Connection Retreat Evaluation, Youth Frontiers, 2011
Download a PDF summary of our independent evaluations, including our Logic Model.