Every Youth Frontiers Courage Retreat includes the following dynamic mix of activities, designed to have the greatest possible impact on participants.
The Courage Retreat
For 7th or 8th Grade Students
The Youth Frontiers Courage Retreat inspires character by empowering students to act with moral courage and identify the social fears and peer pressures that impede responsible decision-making. The retreat encourages them to take positive risks that make a healthy difference for themselves, their peers and your school. Participation in the retreat results in cognitive, attitudinal and behavioral shifts that decrease students’ distractions to learning and build a positive school community.
The retreat staff takes the time to inquire about our unique situations among our students and addresses these issues directly.
– Tammi Samuelson, Butterfield-Odin School, Minn.
Click here to see what other clients have to say about how the Courage Retreat has transformed their students – and how it can impact yours.
Watch the Courage Retreat Video
Watch the Courage Retreat video to get a sneak peak at what the day is all about!
Choose your preferred video player
It's not uncommon for people to access our website from a school computer. Often times they'll find that certain video websites are blocked. Please pick the best video streaming service from the options above. If none of these work you can download the video here.
Key Learning Objectives
- Identify personal fears and understand that everyone has them
- Commit to acting with courage to make your school a better place
- Deepen relationships with classmates to break down social barriers
What to Expect From the Day
Outline of a Courage Retreat Day
- Formative activities:
- Community-building activities to foster stronger relationships
- Skills-building activities to enhance self and social awareness
- Large-group presentations to learn through the power of storytelling:
- Acting with Courage
- Fear – Following the Crowd
- Courage – Following Your Heart
- Small-group discussions, led by high school or adult leaders to solidify concepts around moral courage and to bond with classmates
- Personal journaling and reflection time to individualize learning so that courage concepts can be applied in students’ own lives
- Large-group sharing: Optional opportunity for participants to share their commitments to Acting with Courage with their peers
Midwest Price**: $2,790
National Price: $3,290
Our prices include travel and lodging expenses for retreat staff. As a nonprofit, our team seeks private community partners to keep our programming affordable for schools.
*Within 100 miles of Twin Cities, Minn.
**Within Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota.
Contact Youth Frontiers to see how the Courage Retreat can help your students
Online: Fill out the Request More Information form.
By Phone: 1.888.992.0222