Every Youth Frontiers Kindness Retreat includes the following dynamic mix of activities, designed to have the greatest possible impact on participants.
The Kindness Retreat
For 4th or 5th Grade Students
The Youth Frontiers Kindness Retreat inspires character by engaging students in activities that emphasize the value of kindness. We empower kids to be “everyday heroes” by using kindness to include others, be respectful and make your school a better place. Students learn that bullying is much more than physical fighting, and includes verbal taunting and social exclusion. The retreat then teaches students a positive and safe way to handle bullying situations. Participation in the retreat results in cognitive, attitudinal and behavioral shifts that decrease students’ distractions to learning and build a positive school community.
If our students take just one thing from the day and apply it, our school will be a better place.
– Teacher, Stevens Elementary, Minn.
Click here to see what other clients have to say about how the Kindness Retreat has transformed their students – and how it can impact yours.
Watch the Kindness Retreat Video
Watch the Kindness Retreat video to get a sneak peak at what the day is all about!
Choose your preferred video player
It's not uncommon for people to access our website from a school computer. Often times they'll find that certain video websites are blocked. Please pick the best video streaming service from the options above. If none of these work you can download the video here.
Key Learning Objectives
- Understand why and how to make kind choices
- Enhance empathy skills to understand how words and actions affect others
- Acquire conflict-resolution skills to deal with bullying
What to Expect From the Day
Outline of a Kindness Retreat Day
- Formative activities:
- Community-building activities to foster stronger relationships
- Skills-building activities to develop empathy
- Large-group presentations to learn through the power of storytelling:
- Being Kind Will Make Your School a Better Place
- Bullying Hurts
- Be a Hero and Be Kind – Throw Out a Kindness Boomerang
- Small-group discussions, led by high school or adult leaders to solidify concepts around kindness and to bond with classmates
- Personal journaling and reflection time to individualize learning so that kindness concepts can be applied in students’ own lives
- Large-group sharing: Optional opportunity for participants to share their learnings and commitments to being kind
Midwest Price**: $2,390
National Price: $2,890
Our prices include travel and lodging expenses for retreat staff. As a nonprofit, our team seeks private community partners to keep our programming affordable for schools.
*Within 100 miles of Twin Cities, Minn.
**Within Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota.
Find Out More Information
Contact Youth Frontiers to see how the Kindness Retreat can help your students
Online: Fill out the Request More Information form.
By Phone: 1.888.992.0222